Sunday 10 June 2012

Cath Kidston inspired decoupage Diamond Jubilee memory box

Second day of my new blog! This time last week I was enjoying the Queens Diamond Jubilee - on TV of course!. I wanted a memento of the occasion but with no spare cash buying something was not possible. Then I remembered a feature in a Cath Kidston magazine on decoupage - a traditional craft. These magazines are a really good read with ideas on makes and competitions and are free if you sign up to their mailing list.

So armed with a heart shaped chocolate box I had kept as it was just to lovely to throw away, a stores free magazine and a newspapers TV guide magazine I was ready to make my Diamond Jubilee memory box!
 I did have to go out and buy a small bottle of PVA glue at £1.99. I already had a small sharp pair of scissors.

I spent the afternoon watching the Thames River Pageant and cutting out scraps from the magazines. I then pasted these over the whole of the top of the box with PVA glue watered down 50/50. I left it to dry - about 1 hour - then covered the whole lid with PVA glue - this time not watered down.

I am so thrilled with the result! Please see pic.Just for the cost of the glue - i used about a tenth of the pot.


My intention is to store small mementos from the Diamond Jubilee in the box across the whole summer - including the Olympics -but for now it is actually storing a growing collection of scraps i am cutting from any magazine i can find around the house. I think i have a new hobby!

No comments:

Post a Comment